Monday, August 14, 2006

The Road Not Taken

My plan for the weekend had been moderately ambitious. I would take Friday afternoon off, ride down toward Packwood, camp out Friday night, ride the SIR 3 Volcanoes 300K Saturday and then ride back home on Sunday. I told people I was doing this and I was looking forward to the trip. But my lovely wife has been going through a lot of turmoil at work and as things turned out, Friday was the day she was interviewing for the position of managing her tumultuous department. She'd didn't expect me to cancel my trip to be with her and in fact there was little I could do.

There was little I could do, but I could do one thing. I didn't ride to Packwood. I bought her a card and some dark chocolate and we went out to dinner Friday night. I heard about how the interview went. By the way, it's very hard to find a card to cover the possibilities of a) you got the job because you are skilled, talented and deserve it b) you didn't get the job because you work for morons or c) we don't know yet and the powers that be will decide at some future date. I settled on a card that said "In all the world, my favorite place is just being with you."

So, one less ride report for the blog. There will be other days and other roads.

But for the record, my wife doesn't work for morons. She is skilled and talented and is the new manager of the Dot Com department of the Issaquah Safeway.

7 comments:

FixieDave said...

There are other things besides bikes and nice to see you have your head on stright with the wife =)

Amy said...

And that is why you have remained married for so many years and will have many happy years to come.
Communication doesn't happen if your not spending some time with your spouse :-)

Anonymous said...

Seems like the best ride you never took. Congratulations to you both.

Anonymous said...

You may not be a nutritional role model, but you are in just about every other way.

monk3y mike said...

Been there done that. Missed out on the 2006 SIR fleche to do an early Easter with my wife and kids at my father-in-laws place. While I missed the ride, I have no regrets on making the right choice. There will always be other rides...

Anonymous said...

Right On Mrs Kentsbike.
Kent, we hardly get to hear about your wife, but whenever we do, you cast her in light that captures the beauty of your love and life with her. Congrats to you both.

megan said...

so very sweet. well written - thank you for a this post. for those of us that are entranced and sometimes consumed by the bike ride, kinda like addicts huh? ha....well, this was a good reminder to us all.