Friday, April 12, 2013

#30DaysofScooting: Scooting While the Sun Shines


The forecast calls for a 100% chance of rain later today, but this morning is dry. I scoot out into the sunshine.


The Issaquah Creek meanders through the valley that holds my town, so going almost anywhere involves as least one creek crossing.


Today I'm picking up a few things at Trader Joe's. I've got my backpack and what my son Eric calls my "hippie bag", a nylon shoulder bag that stuffs down to a ball the size of an apricot.


I scoot home along Newport and then cross the creek yet again. In the fall, the salmon run thick in the creek and Issaquah has a festival. Then almost all the fish die and the birds (and sometimes a few bears) come to pick at the carcasses. The town stinks for a few days. Then the rain comes and it washes the fish smell away and the mist hangs heavy on the mountains for months at a time.


April is still a mostly misty month, but we get a few mornings like this, clear and shining bright. I give a happy kick and roll on home.

3 miles of scooting today.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah, WA USA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It had to happen. I haven't done anything yet, but I've been thinking about putting a wireless cyclocomputer system on my KickPed. I think I would have to drill a tiny hole in a spoke in the rear wheel for the magnet, then zip tie the sensor to the tube as per usual as if on the fork of a bicycle. The cyclocomputer (the display) itself would be put in pants pocket, shirt pocket, maybe on the bar.

There is an issue, however. The tire diameter on the KickPed is six inches; the smallest diameter that can be calibrated on a cyclocomputer that I can find is twelve inches (Cateye). So I guess distance results (given cyclocomputer is set at the minimum twelve inches) would have to be divided by 2?