Monday, January 05, 2015

No Driver's Licence, No Problem!


We cater to customers of all ages at The Bicycle Center. I've assembled and serviced hundreds of kid's bikes over the years. But today I got to build up something a bit different. We have this customer whose at that point in his life where his kids kids have kids and he's realized he's at the point where he shouldn't be driving any more. But he still likes to get out to the grocery store or the coffee shop or the library. He doesn't have to go very far or fast, but he wanted something comfortable and stable, with good carrying capacity.


This is a Sun Trike with a Sturmey-Archer 5-speed internal hub. The basic trike sells for $450 and the 5-speed upgrade is another $210. The trike comes stock with the rear basket and we added a $30 front basket and $50 worth of fenders because it rains a heck of a lot around here.


The trike has 24" wheels and a coaster brake. The front hand brake has a push button locking feature so it doubles as a parking brake.

I'm still at the point in my life where two feet and two wheels work just fine for me getting around, but I'm glad to see there are some nice three wheeled solutions out in the world. There's more than one way to keep 'em rolling.

4 comments:

David Crowell said...

There's a man in my neighborhood who rides something very similar. He does go very slow, and he has his walker in the rear basket, as he cannot walk unassisted.

It's great to stay mobile and independent.

Pondero said...

Wonderfully presented! I'm about your age, and am blessed with health. But even as things change, I can hope for something like this to help me enjoy the outdoors. Filing this away for future reference...

Maggie said...

Now that I'm entitled to the senior discount at the grocery store I appreciate hearing about mobility options. Thanks, Kent!

Unknown said...

Nice, but he'd be stumped where I live by the nasty chicanes and bollard arays on our local shared use paths... all designed to prevent motorcyclists and scooters fro going on them...